My mother and I have a very complicated non-existent relationship. As soon as I was born, my grandparents requested that I be drug tested. I was positive for cocaine and heroin. She was expected to go to jail and complete a treatment program of sorts and I was sent to live with my grandmother, who is equally as crazy as my mother and my aunt in-law who is a gem of a woman, flaws and all.
Fast forward to years later, when I was about seven years old. My mother came to visit on Easter. She was too skinny, and too sketchy, so when she showed up and requested that I accompany her to pick up "some friends" my father denied her of this privilege. She had actually kidnapped me before, which a very hard thing to understand when you are a kid. How could your own parent kidnap you? She put up a fuss at being told no, but calmed down and said that she would be back within the hour.
I waited by the window, looking out and hoping that every car that passed would be her and her friend, coming to spend time with me. I waited some more, Easter basket being of no interest to me. Finally dinner came and went, the sun went down and it was time to get ready for bed. I waited almost 3 years for her. The next time I would hear from her would be over the phone, with an automated operator asking me if I would accept a phone call from an inmate. That inmate ended up being my mother.
No comments:
Post a Comment