Saturday, August 17, 2013

Depression

I am always one confrontation, one bad day, one rejection, one bad grade or failed exam away from a nervous breakdown. When things happen, my first response is that it is the worst thing to ever happen, which is sort of funny because when your mom is a junkie ex-con, your father overdosed on heroin, and you ate things out of trash cans, it really should add perspective to just about everything else that happens. But for some odd reason it never does.
And then that cold black wave cascades over me, and I can't even wash my hair, make a meal, complete a task, or be bothered to talk to anyone. It is such a slippery when wet slope that I constantly worry about taking people down with me.
Sometimes, well really a lot of times, I think about dying. I even know the most courteous and convenient way to do it, if that is even possible. Then I remember how many people love me, and think about me, and how it would let them down, and how I never want anyone to think anything bad about me after I'm gone and can't redeem myself, so I never do. I tried once, in 7th grade. Actually I tried 5 times that day, but my body kept jerking up and wouldn't let me suffocate. My 12 year-old brain decided that was a sign that I shouldn't complete the morbid task at hand, so I ripped up all the notes and threw them in the trash bin.
I think about suicide a lot, and a few of my friends know this, so they make sure to check in on me, but I know myself well enough that I would never do it. I want to be a doctor someday, and if I kill myself how am I going to save people? I once called the suicide hotline and talked to a girl for over an hour. I was hysterical at first and started talking to her about all my family issues and how I just tried to deal with all of it on my own. She validated my depression, my thoughts of suicide, by telling me, "You have had a rough time of it, I would almost be more worried if you felt nothing. You don't have to do this alone though. It is okay to feel these things, just reach out." I really liked her, and she may have saved my life that day.
We are never really alone. We might feel that way, but only because everyone's pain is their own. Whether your pain is a falling GPA, or your parents got divorced, or your partner broke up with you, or your grandma died, we all feel those things differently. It is our ability to empathize and not be selfish with ourselves that make us un-alone. There is always someone, whether it's your bartender, some girl on a suicide hot line, your mom, best friend, uncle or sister, or maybe some depressed messy girl with a shitty blog, there is always someone who is willing to be there for you when you need it; you just only have to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment